Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Random Babblings From A Frustrated Seamstress

Time line of unfortunate events: (photos to come later)


Yesterday was the first real sewing day that I've had for over a week. I sat down thinking that I would get most of my commission finished and also have a pair of jeans finished for my doll. No such luck.... The two pairs of jeans that I did finish were completely wrong. I put them on my doll and almost cried. I've made up that pattern before, so I'm not sure what happened. His crotch and bum were totally off. There was way to much fabric and it was bunching up and pleating weird. My mom was over sewing with me and when I showed it to her, I mentioned that it looked like certain female parts. She started laughing and agreed. What was I going to do now.... I'd been sewing all day (with lots of little interruptions in between. I don't think I actually sat down for more than 15-30 min at a time) and it was time to pick my daughter up from school. Frustrated, I decided to put down my sewing and take a break. I picked up my daughter and wandered the house for a few minutes. Cleaned the dishes, watched the girls play outside, had a snack, etc. I finally came to the conclusion that I just needed to draft up a new pattern and start fresh the next day. And, that's exactly what I did.


This morning I drafted up a new pattern (to replace horrible jeans mentioned above), made a really quick test pair, and breathed a deep sigh of relief when I saw that they were just about perfect. A few tweaks hear and there was all they needed. So, I went to cut out the new pair for my commission only to find that I didn't have enough fabric left. ARGGG!!! I looked around for more fabric and found some new stuff. I through it in the washing machine (yep... it wasn't' ready...needed to be washed first to prevent staining on the doll) and decided to play with my daughter. I was beginning to think that this was going to be the commission that would never end. And I still had one more piece to make. The other piece is something that I've been looking forward to doing for quite a while. I was really excited when my client said that she wanted a partial zip front male shirt. Anyways... after playing with my daughter I decided to start working on the pattern for the zip front male shirt. It drafted up quickly and I got the test shirt all sewn up before it was time to get my daughter from school. I put the shirt on and it was perfect. Finally!!! Something worked out right the first time. I have the real shirt cut and ready for tomorrow and the denim is all washed and ready to go for tomorrow also. I'm hoping that tomorrow will bring a much calmer sewing day. I really need one.


Ok, Ok... I realize that the past two days of sewing haven't been to unfortunate. But, sometimes it just seams like things are conspiring against you. And, it's not like I don't have other things to do except make terrible pants and have to redo commissions. I have a household to run. And, I'm waiting anxiously for my first spinning wheel!! (more to come about that later.) Boy, I've been babbling. I guess I should go and knit...calms the nerves.

No comments: